Friday, December 2, 2011

I am not an homophobic :) "Before Night Falls"


I saw this film some years ago and today I would like to share it with you, also it remind me of a great night in a gay club in Berlin, Berghain. I wanna dedicate this film to all my gay friends and to some of my friends who thought that night in Berlin that I was a homophobic just because I said: "Oh my God, I've never seen so many gays together" it was a great night :)
“Before Night Falls” is such a vivid experience that it holds you fully in each moment. Even if you’ve read the memoir of the Cuban novelist and poet Reinaldo Arenas on which the film is based, from scene to scene there’s no telling how painter-turned-director Julian Schnabel, or his wonderful star, Javier Bardem, will tackle what comes next. “Feverish” has been the word used to describe the movie in many of its reviews. But in confidence and sensuality “Before Night Falls” suggests the calm that can come with fever, that heightened and slowed state of awareness where each perception and sensation takes on a vibrant clarity.
The movie isn’t always a model of clarity. Schnabel immerses us in the atmosphere before giving us our bearings and he doesn’t always identify the characters or their relation to each other. But the occasional confusions are a small price to pay for a director who places enough trust in his audience’s intelligence to not spell everything out for them, to work allusively rather than declaratively to convey the meanings of Reinaldo Arenas’ life.

No comments:

Post a Comment